I mustache you a question, did you Mo?
Many men aim to grow and show their model mustache this month in hopes of raising funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer. You might have noticed the sudden outbreak in mustaches, but what didn’t you know?
- Movember kicked off in Melbourne, Australia in 2003 with two guys who wanted to bring back a past fashion trend. That year, 30 men participated but no money was raised. In 2004, the group made Movember an official charitable endeavor. To their surprise 450 participants raised $43,000 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.
- Now, Movember takes place in 21 countries on five continents. In the lead is Canada followed by the United Kingdom, Australia and the United States. You can check the leaderboard at us.movember.com/leaderboards/
- One new prostate cancer case occurs every 2.1 minutes. It is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men after skin cancer.
- In 2011, Movember had 855,203 “official” participants. Participants can register at us.movember.com
- Participants raised more than $15 million in the United States alone in 2011. This number totaled to more than $145,000 internationally.