The sedentary eight hour shift can leave a person feeling more than sluggish. Here are some ways to work fitness into your desk job, and relieve some of the stress that weighs on us during our work day.
1. Seat Clenches: Get your glutes in shape with this simple exercise at your desk. While seated, tighten your buttocks by squeezing your glutes. Hold for 5 -10 seconds and repeat until your tush is tired, or you wrap up that afternoon conference call.
2. Power Punch: Tone your arms while releasing some pent up stress with the Power Punch. Make a tight fist with your hands and punch into the air alternating arms. Keep your core engaged with each punch and continue for 60 seconds or more.
3. Hip to It: Some work is best done under the table. While sitting at your desk, lift your left foot a few inches off the floor and keep your knee at a 90 degree angle. Hold it until your hips cry for mercy, then alternate to your right foot.
4. Like a Prayer: Whether you are praying for a promotion, or that your boss will not notice your long lunch break, this exercise is designed to strengthen your arms. With your feet flat on the ground, place your hands in prayer position in front of your heart. Push your palms together as hard as you can and hold for 20 seconds. Let go and repeat until your prayers have been answered.
5. Back Twist: Hunched over the computer all day can take its toll on your back. Sit tall in your chair and engage your abs. Keep your back off the chair back and lengthen through the top of your head. Twist to the left from engaging your lower back, while lengthening upward, and look over your left shoulder. Release and repeat on the right side. Do as many times as it takes to shake that late afternoon slump.