Arlene’s Gowns 2nd Annual “Be Aware Show You Care” Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show
A fashion show to raise funds for the Florida Cancer Specialists Foundation
Saturday, October 18th / Time: 6-8 pm
The Eagles Nest
8040 Lone Star Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Trek Breast Cancer Awareness Ride
A charity family bike ride to raise funds for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Saturday, October 11 / Time: 8 -10 am
132 Palm Coast Parkway NE
Palm Coast, FL 32137
Brushed Bold Unveiling
Art unveiling of fourteen courageous breast cancer Survivors will share their bodies as a canvas for a select group of regional and nationally recognized artists to interpret their stories. Each completed “canvas” will be photographed and prepared for a unique showcase and limited reproduction. This is Donna Foundation benefit.
Monday, Oct. 6 / Time: 5:30 – 8:30
Tacos for TatTas, TacoLu
1712 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32250
Making Strides of Jacksonville
A charity walk to celebrate survivorship and hope. A family friendly 5K event that raises funds for the American Cancer Society
Saturday, Oct 25 / Time: 9:00 am
The Jacksonville Landing
Pink Ribbon Symposium
An educational event designed to raise awareness on recent advances and related topics such as detection, treatment, and survivorship.
Saturday Oct. 4 / Time: 8 am – 1pm
283 College Dr.
Orange Park, FL 32065
September 6 is the 8th Annual Anglers For A Cure fishing tournament. Check out some pictures from last year’s event as motivation to cast a line in the fight against colon cancer….as if you needed a reason to go fishing!
Click here to view pictures and learn more about this great event!
Compiled by Joshua Bragenberg
The First Coast has a variety of medical studies available, whether it is in Jacksonville or St. Augustine. Students can study anything from nursing to physical therapy. Here, we have compiled a list of heath science majors offered at local colleges.
Jacksonville University- School of Nursing, School of Applied Science
• Jacksonville University offers Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate programs in the field of nursing. JU is committed to providing a learning environment that prepares nurses to work at all levels of this discipline.
• JU’s School of Applied Science offers a degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, as well as a Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology. The bachelor program prepares students for further education in speech language pathology and teaches students the basics of audiology and the sciences of speech and hearing.
• JU’s School of Applied Science also offers a bachelor degree in kinesiology. This program prepares students for the emerging field of the study of human movement.
For more information visit Jacksonville University online at www.ju.edu
University of North Florida- Brooks College of Health-www.unf.edu
• UNF has a Bachelor of Athletic Training to prepare students to prevent, evaluate, treat and rehabilitate injuries and conditions of athletes.
• The exercise science program at UNF offers both a bachelor and master degree to those that desire to pursue a career in physical therapy and public health.
• UNF’s Physical Therapy program has a Doctorate degree that prepares students to take the national licensure examination.
• One of the six flagship programs at UNF, Nutrition and Dietetics, offers students undergraduate and graduate studies to be valued nutrition specialists in hospitals, nursing homes or their communities.
• The Department of Public Health features a variety of programs ranging from community health, aging services, health administration and clinical mental health counseling.
• The flagship School of Nursing offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and graduate programs ranging from a Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthetist or Clinical Nurse Specialist.
For more information about programs at the University of North Florida- Brooks College of Health visit them online at www.unf.edu
University of St. Augustine-www.usa.edu
• The Doctor of Physical therapy program aims to graduate proficient practitioners that specialize in prevention, evaluation and treatment of injuries and other physical problems.
• The Master of Occupational Therapy trains therapists that will help people of all ages who are struggling with physical, developmental and emotional or social issues.
For more information about the University of St. Augustine programs visit them online at www.usa.edu
Florida State College at Jacksonville-www.fscj.edu
• FSCJ offers an Associate in Science in Nursing that prepares graduates to work in entry-level positions.
• A Bachelor of Science in Nursing program prepares graduates for evidence-based care and leadership roles.
For more information about Florida State College at Jacksonville visit them online at www.fscj.edu