Posts in: Heart Health
Swim Baby, Swim!
It is never too soon, or too late to start swimming in the Sunshine State.
4775 Windsor Commons Ct, Jacksonville, FL 32224
For information: http://www.swimmingsafari.com
JaxParks Learn to Swim Programs
Lessons from ages 3 to Adult at Public Pools Citywide
For information: http://www.coj.net/departments/parks,-recreation-and-community-services/recreation-and-community-programming/jaxparks-aquatics.aspx#learntoswim
Splash Jax Swim School
1856 Davidson Street
Jacksonville, FL 32207
For information: http://www.splashjaxswimschool.com/Home.jsp?team=cmflsjss
First Coast YMCA
Children’s lessons offered across the First Coast
For more information: http://www.firstcoastymca.org/explore/learn_to_swim
JCA Swim School
8505 San Jose Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Planet Swim School and Planet Swim Aquatics
272 Alta Mar Dr.
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Kerry Wick Swimming
Infant Swimming Resource (ISR)
For infants under the age of 3.
First Coast Instructor Listings can be found at:
The sedentary eight hour shift can leave a person feeling more than sluggish. Here are some ways to work fitness into your desk job, and relieve some of the stress that weighs on us during our work day.
1. Seat Clenches: Get your glutes in shape with this simple exercise at your desk. While seated, tighten your buttocks by squeezing your glutes. Hold for 5 -10 seconds and repeat until your tush is tired, or you wrap up that afternoon conference call.
2. Power Punch: Tone your arms while releasing some pent up stress with the Power Punch. Make a tight fist with your hands and punch into the air alternating arms. Keep your core engaged with each punch and continue for 60 seconds or more.
3. Hip to It: Some work is best done under the table. While sitting at your desk, lift your left foot a few inches off the floor and keep your knee at a 90 degree angle. Hold it until your hips cry for mercy, then alternate to your right foot.
4. Like a Prayer: Whether you are praying for a promotion, or that your boss will not notice your long lunch break, this exercise is designed to strengthen your arms. With your feet flat on the ground, place your hands in prayer position in front of your heart. Push your palms together as hard as you can and hold for 20 seconds. Let go and repeat until your prayers have been answered.
5. Back Twist: Hunched over the computer all day can take its toll on your back. Sit tall in your chair and engage your abs. Keep your back off the chair back and lengthen through the top of your head. Twist to the left from engaging your lower back, while lengthening upward, and look over your left shoulder. Release and repeat on the right side. Do as many times as it takes to shake that late afternoon slump.
By Bob Fernee
To find our trail this month we return to the Heckscher Drive area of northeastern Jacksonville to the little known parkland known as Pumpkin Hill Creek Preserve. A few years ago, the St. Johns River Water Management District, the city of Jacksonville, and the state of Florida chipped in to buy nearly 4,000 acres along the west shore of Pumpkin Hill Creek, a tidal marsh stream.
The park is new, so are the trails, therefore, things are changing and developing all the time. So you can expect this preserve to get better and better. The current 2.1-mile loop uses color-coded paths and eventually takes you to a nice overlook spot to take in Pumpkin Hill Creek.
With a little invention you can turn this into a good four mile run. To get there, take Heckscher Drive to New Berlin Rd. Follow New Berlin for nearly four miles to Cedar Point Rd. Turn right on Cedar Point, continue for four and a half miles to Pumpkin Hill Rd. Turn left and in less than a mile you will be there.